When making the decision to sell your valuable jewellery or pawn watches Johannesburg, it is of utmost importance that you take some time to do thorough research first, as this will help you get the best deal possible. It is not a good idea to run off to the first gold & diamond pawnshop in South Africa, because you might be disappointed with the outcome later on. This guide will assist you in how to go about selling or pawning your pieces.
What To Do First
- Know what it is that you’re pawning. Gold is often mixed with other metals, and it is in your best interest to know the precise weight or karats of your jewellery, as this will translate to how much it is worth.
- The same goes for diamonds. Know the cut and karat of the diamonds, so that you have an idea of the price it could fetch.
- Check the market to see what gold and diamond prices are like. An added bit of research into a reputable gold & diamond pawnshop in South Africa and what they are selling similar pieces for, would be a good idea as well.
- Consider the option of melting your pieces, and whether they would be more valuable that way. You can speak to a pawn broker for assistance with this, or simply do an online search.
- Decide whether you want to go for an independent broker, or a chain store. Chain stores often adhere to general guidelines about buying in pieces, and you are likely to have more flexibility when negotiating a price with an independent broker.
- Be wary of scam artists offering cash for valuable pieces. Make sure that you do business with a dealer who has a permanent address, so that you have a way to trace your sale if need be.
If you arm yourself with information, and adhere to these tips, you will then be ready to find a pawn watches and gold & diamond pawnshop in South Africa that can give you the best deal, without the risk of being scammed or losing out.